TravelCenters of America LLC crowned Tom McCrimmon of the Joe Gibbs Racing, #20 team, Grand Champion of the 2018 TA Truck Service Challenge at the Charlotte Motor Speedway on Sunday, September 30.
The Challenge, a competition for professional transport drivers affiliated with the NASCAR Xfinity Series and NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Series, began in February and included six competitions in 2018. In each competition, drivers earned a combined score for their maneuverability skills in a timed course and their knowledge of Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations on a written exam.
The driver with the highest score at each competition was named the winner and took home a $1,000 prize. Points earned by drivers at each competition throughout the Challenge were cumulative and determined the Grand Champion. Competition was exceptionally high during the 2018 season, which brought together the largest field of competitors in the 25-year history of the Challenge.
In addition to winning the Grand Champion trophy, Tom McCrimmon took home the grand prize of $25,000. Finishing in second place, Brendan Greene, Joe Gibbs Racing, #18, won $10,000 and placing third, Ken Pitcher, Joe Gibbs Racing, #19 won $5,000.
Individual 2018 Driver Challenge competition winners included:
- Atlanta Motor Speedway – Brendan Greene, Joe Gibbs Racing, #18 hauler driver
- Texas Motor Speedway – Eric Burgoyne, Champion Tire and Wheel hauler driver
- Sonoma Raceway – Jamie Price, Joe Gibbs Racing, #18 hauler driver
- Kentucky Speedway – Josh Collins, Joe Gibbs Racing, #11 hauler driver
- Las Vegas Motor Speedway – Brendan Greene, Joe Gibbs Racing, #18 hauler driver
- Charlotte Motor Speedway – Michael Hutton, Jeremy Clements Racing, #51 hauler driver
“The Driver Challenge is a wonderful forum to recognize the skills and dedication of the men and women who transport goods across the U.S.,” said Skip McGary, TA Executive Vice President. “We are proud to announce that we will continue to highlight their expertise and again sponsor the Challenge in 2019.”
For more information please see www.tatruckchallenge.com.